There are 5 forum types:
- A single simple discussion - A single discussion topic to which everyone can reply (cannot be used with separate groups)
- Each person posts one discussion - Each student can post exactly one new discussion topic, to which everyone can then reply
- Q and A forum - Students must first post their perspectives before viewing other students' posts
- Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format - An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time, and in which discussion topics are displayed on one page with "Discuss this topic" links
- Standard forum for general use - An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time
- Login to Moodle using the Mozilla Firefox browser, visit: FAQ ID #1175
- Find your course, visit: FAQ ID #1176
- Turn Editing on, visit: FAQ ID #1189
Creating a Q & A Forum Activity
- If your course is in topic view, in the section in where you want the page located, select the Add an activity or resource link.
If your course is in folder view, in the section in where you want the page located, select the Add resource link.
- Select Advanced Forum from the menu, then scroll down and click Add.
- Complete the General settings form by providing a Forum name, selecting Forum type and writing an introduction in the Description field for students to view. For forum type, choose Q and A forum.
- Elect options determining how students are notified of activity in the forum, for tracking who read the posts, and controlling attachments posted.
- Under Post threshold for blocking your are able to moderate the forum and place limitations on the number of posts your students can make with in a given time period.
The Grade category setting controls the category in which the grades from the activity are placed in the gradebook.
- Proceed to the Ratings area and review the options for rating (grading) forum posts. In order to establish ratings you will need to assign who has access to rate a fourm post (ex. student, teacher, facilitator etc..). The aggregate type defines how ratings are combined to form the final grade in the gradebook.
If "No ratings" is selected, then the activity will not appear in the gradebook.
- Review the Common module settings, here you may choose whether the page should be visible or not to your students. If you have developed predetermined groups the common module settings will allow you to segment discussions by groups.
- You may place conditions or date related restrictions on the availability of the forum.
- Select the Save and display button.
- Click Add a question, edit a posting to the forum for students to respond to. If you do not post an initial question in the Q and A forum, students will not be able to post.
For complete details visit, FAQ #1421: How do I post a topic to a forum?
View the video below to learn more about: