***There are two types of forums available in Moodle. Some features in the Advanced forum are not available in the "standard" forum .
Questions for the Instructor Forum
Encourage your students to contact you via Moodle. In a standard discussion forum a student is able to share a question with the instructor and gain a response that remains visible for their peers to access, reply and discuss.
The following FAQ will provide instructions and the appropriate language to transform a standard forum for general use into an effective administrative and learning tool for your classroom.
- Login to Moodle using the Mozilla Firefox browser, visit: FAQ ID #1175
- Find your course, visit: FAQ ID #1176
- Turn Editing on, visit: FAQ ID #1189
Create a Standard Forum Activity
There are 5 forum types:
- A single simple discussion - A single discussion topic to which everyone can reply (cannot be used with separate groups)
- Each person posts one discussion - Each student can post exactly one new discussion topic, to which everyone can then reply
- Q and A forum - Students must first post their perspectives before viewing other students' posts
- Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format - An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time, and in which discussion topics are displayed on one page with "Discuss this topic" links
- Standard forum for general use - An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time
- If your course is in topic view, in the section in where you want the page located, select the Add an activity or resource link.
If your course is in folder view, in the section in where you want the page located, select the Add resource link.
- Select Advanced forum from the menu, then scroll down, and click Add.
- Complete the General settings form by providing a Forum name, selecting Forum type and writing an introduction for students to view in the Description field.
Name = "Questions for the Instructor forum"
Forum Type = Standard forum for general use
Description = "This area is designated for course participants to post questions to be answered by the instructor or course participnats. Please keep in mind that these questions can be viewed by all course members."
Subscription mode = Optional
- Continue to review and elect options determining how students are notified of activity in the forum, controlling attachments, and restrictions.
- Select the apppropriate Save/Cancel action.