- Login to Moodle using the Mozilla Firefox browser, visit: FAQ ID #1175
- Find your course, visit: FAQ ID #1176
- Turn editing on, visit: FAQ ID #1189
Setting Up Class Attendance
- If your course is in topic view, in the section in where you want the page located, select the Add an activity or resource link.
If your course is in folder view, in the section in where you want the page located, select the Add resource link.
- Select Attendance from the menu, then scroll down and click Add.
- In the General settings, provide a name for your attendance activity, and in the Grade settings select an option for grading. By default, the attendance activity will be worth 100 points. You can change the value, or even have it not count for a grade.
- Review the Common module settings. You may choose how the attendance will be visible to your students. If you have predetermined student groups, the common module settings will allow you to segment the activity by your group.
- In the Activity completion settings, change the setting to Do not indicate activity completion.
- Select the Save and display button.
Adding Attendance Sessions
- Once the attendance activity has been created, you will need to choose the Add session tab to input the sessions that will be tracked on your attendance calendar.
- You can add a single date at a time, or create multiple dates. in the Multiple sessions section. In the example below the attendance sessions will be for a Monday, Wednesday, and Friday course, at 10:00AM that runs from January 3, 2017 until May 31, 2017. The instructor would then have to go back and delete specific dates for vacation days.
- Each time you add a session it will place it in date order and become part of your total attendance.
- Click Add to finalize attendace session.
Marking Attendance and Reports
Once the attendance activity has been created and the course sessions have been added you may begin to mark your attendance.
- Access the attendance activity, choose the date and click on the take attendance button for that date.
- Mark whether the students are (P)resent, (L)ate, (E)xcused, or (A)bsent.
- You can mark all of the students at the same time by using the Set status for all users.
- If you are counting this as part of your grade, a point value is associated with each status. You can adjust the point value, or change status types in the Settings tab.
- Click Save attendance. You may go back to this attendance date if revision is necessary.
Using an Attendance Block
The easiest way to take attendance is by adding an attendance block to your course and it has a link that will automatically take you to the current session's attendance.
- In your course, click Turn editing on.
- Scroll to the bottom left of the screen and click on the dropdown menu to select Attendance.
- The attendance block will be created for you.
- You can move it up or to the right if you like.
- click Turn editing off.
- In the attendance block, select Take attendance to be taken to the attendance for the current date.
The following video will walk you through the process of setting up attendance in your Moodle course.