There are two types of forums available in Moodle. Some features in the Advanced forum are not available in the "standard" forum .
There are 5 forum types:
- A single simple discussion - A single discussion topic to which everyone can reply (cannot be used with separate groups)
- Each person posts one discussion - Each student can post exactly one new discussion topic, to which everyone can then reply
- Q and A forum - Students must first post their perspectives before viewing other students' posts
- Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format - An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time, and in which discussion topics are displayed on one page with "Discuss this topic" links
- Standard forum for general use - An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time
- Login to Moodle using the Mozilla Firefox browser, visit: FAQ ID #1175
- Find your course, visit: FAQ ID #1176
- Turn Editing on, visit: FAQ ID #1189
Creating a Standard Forum Activity
- If your course is in topic view, in the section in where you want the page located, select the Add an activity or resource link.
If your course is in folder view, in the section in where you want the page located, select the Add resource link.
- Select Advanced Forum from the menu, then scroll down and click Add.
- Complete the General settings form by providing a Forum name, selecting Forum type and writing an introduction in the Description for students to view. For forum type, choose Standard forum for general use.
- Review and elect options determining how students are notified of activity in the forum, for tracking who read the posts, and controlling attachments posted.
- Under Post threshold for blocking your are able to moderate the forum and place limitations on the number of posts your students can make with in a given time period.
- Proceed to the Grade area to set if and how the discussion forum will be graded. (You will also need to set the ratings in the Ratings section, otherwise the forum will not be graded.)
- If the Grade type is set to Rating, you will be able to grade the forum post on the forum from a pulldown menu at each post.
- If the Grade type is set to Manual, you will grade the forum post in the gradebook.
- Set the Maximum grade to the total point value students can earn in this discussion.
- In the Rating section choose the Aggregate type.
- The Aggregate type defines how ratings are combined to form the final grade in the gradebook.
- The most commonly used Aggregate type is Sum of ratings. Sum of ratings will add the scores of the ratings from separate posts and replies without exceeding the Maximum grade set in the Grade section.
If "No ratings" is selected, then the activity will not appear in the gradebook.
- Review the Common module settings. You may choose whether the page should be visible or not to your students. If you have developed predetermined groups, you can segment discussions by groups.
- If necessary, place conditions or date related restrictions on accessibility to the forum.
- Select the apppropriate Save/ Cancel action.
View the video below to learn more about: